In this blog post, I will explain the various Etlworks installation options and how our pricing model works.
Our pricing model is a three-tiered, feature-based SaaS subscription.
There are three clearly defined tiers: Startup, Business and Enterprise.
All tiers allow for an unlimited number of users and provide you access to all included connectors. Tier differences can be found in the following:
- The total number of records that can be processed each day.
- The total number of schedules.
- How often the scheduled flow can run.
- The type of instance: shared or dedicated.
- The ability to set up a custom domain with its own SSL certificate
- White labeling
- The ability to create and use tenants.
Take a look at our pricing grid for more information.
Select the shared plan (Startup or Business) if:
- You are OK to share the instance with other customers.
- The number of records you are planning to process monthly will not exceed 32 million (<=1 M records a day).
- You will not be running any flow more frequent than once an hour.
- You are OK to have a limited number of schedules.
- You are not planning to use API to process events in realtime (webhooks, etc.)
Select the dedicated plan (Enterprise or on-premise) if:
- You don’t want to share the instance with other customers.
- The number of records you are planning to process monthly will exceed 32 million (>1 M records a day).
- You are going to be running flows more frequent than once an hour.
- You expect to have a lot of schedules.
- You are planning to use API to process events in realtime (webhooks, etc.)
- You need any of the following:
- Custom domain
- White labeling
- Ability to create and use tenants
Q. What are tenants?
A. Essentially, tenants are sub-accounts under the main account.
Each tenant has a separate list of users, flows, connections, formats, and listeners, and are completely isolated from each other. They can be used to separate customers and environments – for example, DEV, QA, PRODUCTION, etc. Flows and connections can be copied from one tenant to another.
Q. What happens if we exceed the maximum allowed number of processed records?
A. You will receive a notification that the limit has been exceeded and we will recommend that you switch to a higher tier.
It’s OK if you exceed the limit set for your plan once or twice a week, but systematically exceeding it violates the terms of service.
Q. How does the free trial work?
A. You get full functionality for 14 days, at which point you can turn your trial into a monthly or annual subscription.
Q. What happens when the 14-days free evaluation period ends? Do I need to ask to extend it?
A. Your Etlworks account will be disabled but you will have an option to subscribe to the paying service or request an extension. Your evaluation period can be extended up to 14 days.
Q. How does your on-premise offering work?
A. Unlike cloud subscriptions, the customer owns and operates the on-premise instance running Etlworks. In addition to the subscription fee, we charge $2000 USD as a one-time installation and configuration fee.
Typically we don’t have access to the on-premise instances at all, but we do provide a fully automated, one-click installation and upgrade script.
The on-premise instance must be able to connect to the Etlworks License server at least once a day.
Q. Can I have more than one dedicated instance?
A. Yes, you can. Each instance requires a separate license.
Q. Can Etlworks handle our load?
A. Etlworks Integrator is extremely fast and optimized for performance. It is also horizontally scalable. You can have multiple instances running in parallel behind the load balancer.
Q. How many instances will I need?
A. In most cases, you will need just one instance, which is included in the base price. You might need more than one if you expect a large number of the parallel ETL requests (hundreds of thousands per day) or need guaranteed high availability. Always think of upgrading the amount of available RAM and CPU cores before adding an instance.
Q. Is multi-server option available for cloud Enterprise plans?
A. Yes, it is available.
Q. What does “the price starts from” mean for cloud Enterprise plans?
A. We factor the cost of running the dedicated instance of Etlworks when calculating the price. For example:
- 8 Gb RAM, 2 CPU cores, 100 SSD – $800 / month.
- 16 Gb RAM, 4 CPU cores, 100 SSD – $1000 / month.
- 32 Gb RAM, 8 CPU cores, 200 SSD – $1500 / month.
- 64 Gb RAM, 16 CPU cores, 200 SSD – $2000 / month.
Q. How can I estimate the size of the instance?
A. Use the maximum number of records per month that you are planning to process to bulk-estimate the size of the instance that you might need. Read how we count the number of records.
If you are planning to work with the nested XML and JSON documents read how we calculate the number of records in the nested documents.
Q. Can I request to upgrade or downgrade the instance?
A. Yes, you can. It usually takes just a few minutes to change the size of the instance for the instances managed by Etlworks.
Q. What does “the price starts from” mean for on-premise Enterprise plans?
A. The base price includes one instance of Etlworks Integrator.
- One 8 Gb instance – $800 / month.
- One 16 Gb instance – $1000 / month.
- One 32 (and up, no upper limit) Gb instance – $1500 / month.
- Two 8 Gb instances (for example DEV and PRODUCTION) – $1600 / month.
- Two 16 Gb instances – $2000 / month
- Two 32 (and up) Gb instances – $3000 / month
- More than 2 instances – 50% discount for each additional instance
Q. Can I install Etlworks from the AWS or Azure marketplace?
A. Not at the moment. We will be in both marketplaces in Q4 of 2019.
Q. How am I billed?
A. You subscribe and will be billed through our customer portal powered by Paywhirl. You can pay by a major credit card, direct money wire to our bank account or mailed check. Monthly and anual payment plans are available.
Q. What will my total cost be?
A. Your total cost will be the subscription cost listed on our website. No surprises.
Q. What regions are available for shared and dedicated instances?
A. We have shared instances in the US-EAST (us-east-2) and EU-WEST (eu-west-2) regions. Dedicated instances can be installed in any region of your choice.
Q. Can we have a dedicated instance on Microsoft Azure or Google Cloud?
A. Yes, you can. The dedicated instance of Etlworks can be installed on any cloud of your choice.
Q. On your website there is an option to buy a perpetual license. What does this mean?
A. When you buy a perpetual license you own it forever. Perpetual license for one server costs 50K.
The renewal costs $6000 / year after the first year.
We provide a 50% discount for each additional license.
Q. How is support provided?
A. The basic support by email is included in all plans. You can purchase extended support, which includes 10 hours of the professional services per month for $1000 / month (or 6 hours for $600 / month). You can also buy ad-hoc extended support for $150 / hour.